Posted: March 17th, 2016
A chef, who was injured whilst attempting to help a co-worker, has been awarded compensation for his injury by the Circuit Civil Court.
The accident occurred when Shijun Liu, an ordinary chef at the Howards Way Restaurant in Rathgar, was working in the establishment’s sister restaurant in Churchtown. In March 2013, he tried to help a cleaner who had gotten into difficulty when trying to use a domestic powerhose to clean the kitchen. However, as the two were trying to unravel the tangled hose, it suddenly started spurting hot water on Shijun.
The temperature of the water severely burned Shijun’s ankle, and he was rushed to the VHI clinic in Dundrum. The injuries to his ankle prevented the chef from returning to work for two weeks after the incident. After seeking legal advice, Shijun made a claim for a restaurant kitchen compensation claim against his employer, Declan Howard, trading as Howards Way Restaurant. When the Injuries Board asked for permission to conduct an assessment of the injuries claim, it was denied.
The case was taken to the Circuit Civil Court, where it was heard by Mr Justice Raymond Groarke earlier this month. Evidence was given that the type of hose used to clean the kitchen was unsuitable for the high temperatures, as it damaged the material. Judge Groarke awarded Shijun €15,000 for his claim, adding that he found Shijun’s case compelling.
Categories: Accident at Work Compensation